International

Second Ebola outbreak confirmed in Congo

World Health Company Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday that health officials have confirmed a second outbreak of Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo. The announcement by WHO chief comes at a time when a very long, difficult and complex Ebola outbreak in Congo in its final phase.

Relating to Congo’s Ministry of Wellness, six brand-new Ebola situations possess so far been recognized in Wangata, of which four possess died and two are in and under care and attention. The ministry provides indicated fear that more cases would come up in long term as surveillance activities increase.

It is to be noted that Ebola outbreak was first found out in Congo in 1976. The city of Mbandaka and its surrounding area were the site of Congo’s 9th Ebola outbreak, which took place from May to Come july 1st 2018.

It’s happening at a challenging time, but WHO has worked over the last two years with wellness professionals, Africa CDC and other partners to strengthen country wide capacity to respond to outbreaks, said Dr Matshidiso Moeti, Who also Regional Director for Africa.

To reinforce community leadership, WHO plans to send a team to support climbing up the response. Given the proximity of this new outbreak to occupied transport routes and vulnerable neighbouring countries we must act quickly.

WHO team is stationed in Mbandaka in order to support the response to this outbreak. The WHO team supported the collection and testing of samples, and research to the national laboratory for confirmation. Contact tracing is certainly underway.

Close